CHRA Europe Region - Family Member Employment

Employee Handbook - Living Overseas - Family Member Employment

The skills, experience, and desires of the spouses have a lot to do with the likelihood of employment. However, there are some special complicating employment factors in an overseas area.

First and foremost is the supply of family member job seekers versus the number of available positions. There are many more family members than full-time positions. Since employment on the local economy is usually not possible, on-base jobs are very competitive.

Second, spouses of civilian employees who relocate overseas with employees are not eligible for military spouse preference for Federal employment. Consequently they have lower appointment standing when referred for a job. These spouses may be eligible for family member preference, regardless of whether or not they have previously worked for the Federal government.

If a spouse or other eligible family member currently has civil service status, getting a job should be a bit easier. Many family members will be unable to find employment that meets their desires for work schedule, salary, or level of work.

Family members seeking employment should see Employment and/or the local Army Community Support (ACS) Centers, to find out about local job opportunities.

One of the benefits of working overseas, for a military or civilian family member who does not have personal civil service status, is obtaining employment eligibility under the Executive Order 12721. The Executive Order 12721 affords United States citizen family members who work while overseas, the eligibility to apply for employment directly with Federal agencies upon their return to the United States, if they meet certain criteria.

Family member employment overseas is limited to the length of the sponsor's tour. Because of this limitation, the allowable period of employment under a family member appointment may not extend longer than two months beyond the date of the sponsor's transfer or separation from the area. Locally hired family members on career or career-conditional appointments who lose their family-member status must inform their servicing CPAC of the status change. These employees become subject to rotation and must sign a "Rotation Agreement for Family Members with Career or Career Conditional Status Who Lose Family Member Status While Employed Overseas". Further information see AE Supplement 1 to AR 690-300.301.

You are here: